Are you thinking of buying a used car? If so, there are some things you need to do to make sure that you get the best deal and the right car for you. We have put together a list of six simple tips that will help you to get a car that is reliable and genuine:
– Run a VIN check – the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is an individual number that stays with the vehicle throughout its life. By using a VIN checking service such as AutoCheck or Carfax – the two market leaders – you can get a report on the history of the vehicle, including its involvement in accidents and other problems in the past.
– Try and buy from an authorized dealer – the best way to get a quality used car with all the guarantees you require is to look at authorized dealers for your vehicle. This will make sure you get a good choice of specifications, as well as a car that has been examined and looked after correctly. It is still strongly advised that you have a VIN check carried out.
– Check the paperwork – all cars should come with the relevant registration documents, and it is essential that the VIN shown on the original documents is that which is on the car itself. The VIN will be found on a metal plate welded to the car, and may be in the engine bay, the foot-well, or on the sills under the door.
– Take someone with you – if you have a friend or family member who knows about cars take them with you when you go looking. They will know what to look for, where and how, and will be a vital element in getting the best car for your needs.
– Start the car from cold – a favorite trick of unscrupulous dealers is to make sure a car is warmed up and running by the time the viewer gets to look at it. This can hide some major mechanical defects, so you need to start it from cold. Look for excessive exhaust fumes when starting the car as this can indicate major problems.
– Do not choose the first car – it is tempting to cut out the time involved and buy the first car you look at, assuming everything tallies. This is not the best course of action, for you may find a better deal around the corner! Shop around, and look for alternatives, then use these as a negotiating tool for your ultimate purchase.
Buying a used car is about careful consideration, and perhaps the most important aspect is that of the VIN check. Run one and you have all the information you need at a glance.